Friday, August 15, 2014

THE ART OF THE SANDWICH

Grilled sandwiches can be so simple at times and yet so complex. Paninis satisfy - breakfast, lunch or dinner. I bought a panini press a couple of summers ago and still use it. It is not one of those kitchen gadgets that you use every so often and have to dust and clean it when you break it out of its hiding place because you can't remember the last time you used it. NO...my panini press gets a lot of activity. Might actually be time to replace it but it still works....maybe I just need to give it a good scrubbing?

The Ultimate Panini Press Cookbook by Kathy Strahs has more than 200 recipes that you can make using your panini press. There are so many different varieties, it is worth exploring and trying something unusual. You never know, you might find a new favorite sandwich.It also includes a chapter that instructs you how to make dessert on the panini press. I am not sure if I am that ambitious to make a cake using a ramekin on the press but the grilled Fluffernutter Panini with candied peanuts and cinnamon crust looks like something I might try on one of those stressful days when you need to "take the edge off."  Pure comfort!


This week I tried two of the recipes; the pepperoni  pizza panini because I knew that my kids would eat it and the prosciutto, mozzarella and arugula salad panini.(recipe to follow) I tweaked the following recipe a tad. Instead of a white balsamic vinaigrette, I just used a store bought balsamic dressing that I had handy. No worries. I am sure it was just as good because of the taste and because it took me less time to make!


PROSCIUTTO, MOZZARELLA AND ARUGULA SALAD PANINI:

2 Cups baby arugula
1 tablespoon White Balsamic Vinaigrette (I used regular balsamic salad dressing)
1 French baguette, cut into 4 portions
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
8 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto

Heat the panini press to medium-high heat. Place the arugula in a medium sized bowl and toss it with about a tablespoon of vinaigrette or more depending on taste. For each sandwich: Slice off the domed top of a baguette portion to create a flat grilling surface. Split the baguette to create top and bottom halves. On the bottom baguette half, layer some arugula salad, a little bit of cheese, prosciutto and some more cheese. Close the sandwich with the top baguette half. Grill two panini at a time, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted and the baguettes are toasted, 4 to 5 minutes.


WHITE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE:

3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped shallots
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon course salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallots, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. While still whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. You can keep any extra white balsamic vinaigrette in the refrigerator for up to a week. Allow the dressing to come to room temperature and give it a good stir before using it next.

There are so many recipes that I want to try. "Grilled Asparagus with Prosciutto and Mozzarella Panini", "Smoked Salmon, Goat Cheese and Fennel Slaw Panini" or better yet, "Grilled Shrimp, Mango and Avocado Panini with Pepper Jelly and Monterey Jack Cheese" - a little hot, a little sweet. Sounds like a winner to me!






No comments:

Post a Comment