Thursday, August 7, 2014

SALAD DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BORING


This summer has been quite comfortable, weather-wise that is. It seems that when it is hot and humid and you don't want to turn your oven on, salad is the way to go. It's refreshing, cool, crisp and it doesn't weigh you down like when you eat a winter stew, steak or pasta. Even though the weather is bearable, I tend to crave a salad every now and again. Maybe my body is telling me something like..."YOU NEED TO EAT SOMETHING BESIDES CARBS!" Now I'm not talking about the plain lettuce with tomato .....you know....a good hearty salad with fresh produce from our local farmers market, grilled vegetables? Maybe with some chicken, shrimp, cheese, croutons? Healthy but satisfying. Salad doesn't have to be boring.

You can make a salad every day of the year with my next pick appropriately named SALAD OF THE DAY: 365 RECIPES FOR EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR by Georgeanne Brennan. Talk about options. Calendars at the beginning of each chapter highlight the recipes with the ingredients best suited for that month. There are full color photos that give you a beautiful visual that make your mouth water. I wish I didn't skip lunch today because the photo of the BLT & Poached Egg Salad is making me hungry. I think I will try that one next!





SMOKED CHICKEN SALAD WITH ROASTED CHERRY TOMATOES:  This is a tasty, filling salad that could be eaten for lunch or dinner. I substituted the polenta croutons for home made cheese croutons using a rustic three cheese bread. That bread is so sinful. In my house it is a rare occasion that we have leftover three cheese bread going stale. But when it does, I make some croutons. I usually cut them into 1 inch cubes and toast them in the oven with a little olive oil (use the spray can version) some fresh or dried herbs; oregano, thyme, whatever flavor you like.

CHERRY TOMATO SALAD WITH BURRATA & PESTO: Tomatoes are so flavorful in the summer when they are fresh. I wish they were that good all year round! My new favorite cheese is Burrata. It is soft like fresh mozzarella but filled with curds and cream in the middle and melts in your mouth. I used jarred pesto even though I have fresh basil growing. Who has the time for that? I am sure it doesn't come close to fresh pesto but I definitely need to save extra time for other chores and responsibilities......like making peanut butter ice cream? On a hot....or not summer day, all you need is this salad. Don't forget to pair it with sliced baguette. YUM.




Cherry Tomato Salad with Burrata & Pesto

3 Tbs. prepared basil pesto
1 1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
About 4 cups (1 1/2 lb./750 g) mixed red, yellow and orange cherry tomatoes
1 burrata cheese
Small fresh basil leaves for garnish

In a bowl, whisk together the pesto and vinegar. Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the dressing is well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Slice the tomatoes in half, add to the bowl, and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper and use a slotted spoon to mound them on a serving platter. Nestle the cheese in the center and drizzle with some pesto dressing from the bowl. Garnish with the basil leaves and serve. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment